[Vm-dev] Re: [Poll] Who is interested in, thinking about, or already contributing to a 64-bit OpenSmalltalk VM for Windows?

Nicolas Cellier nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 06:33:11 UTC 2016

> Hi Marcel,
>

> > On Jul 12, 2016, at 12:24 PM, marcel.taeumel <Marcel.Taeumel at hpi.de>
> wrote:
> >

> > Hi Nicolas,
> >
> > I suppose there are several places in some low-level parts of Cog/Jit
> where
> > Long and Pointer-Type are used interchangeably. One would have to fix
> that
> > first. Only then, we can start caring for interfacing the win-api
> correctly.
>
> That's right.  Throughout the Cogit is the assumption that sizeof(long) ==
> sizeof(sqInt) == sizeof(void *).  That's why I'm hoping we can use a C
> compiler which obeys this for win64.  It is nontrivial to fix, as I've
> already discussed.  Did my words fall on deaf ears and you're proposing to
> go ahead?

Hi Eliot,

for sizeof(long) != sizeof(void *) that's not a big problem from what i see
in VMMaker (unless I'm also blind)
there are not so many usage of long/unsigned long.
longAt() answers a sqInt so it's OK.
I've published VMMaker.oscogLLP64-nice.1901 on
http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/nice/NiceVMExperiments/main and the list of
changes is rather short.
Maybe I forgot some places though, it needs consolidation.

for sizeof(sqInt) != sizeof(void *) that's really more difficult.
There are assumptions that objectMemory == machineMemory and avoidance of
oopForPointer() pointerForOop() macros spreaded across Cog/Spur as I
understand it.
But we ain't gonna need it until we try to run 32bits image on 64bits VM.