[Vm-dev] Re: [squeak-dev] New Cog VMs available

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 17:06:41 UTC 2016

Hi Luciano,

On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 9:59 AM, Luciano Notarfrancesco <luchiano at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Eliot,
> My only point is performance. GMP is highly optimized, it includes
> optimizations made by hand for each particular processor, so for example
> the multiplication of large enough integers should be much faster than our
> implementation in Slang. And it seems that we wouldn't need to change
> anything in the image or do any conversions or marshaling, just call the
> mpn_* low-level functions from the large integers plugin. But if we have to
> marshal everything it doesn't make much sense to use GMP, because it will
> be slower for relatively small large integers.
>
> I'm working on computer algebra in Smalltalk and I'd like to be
> competitive with other computer algebra systems (GAP, Magma, etc), and in
> many cases the bottleneck is large integer arithmetic.
>
> So I'm very happy about the recent speed up using 32 bits legs and
> avoiding function calls for type checking. That will have an impact in my
> benchmarks. Thanks!

Well, I won't stand in the way of you gaining more performance; quite the
opposite; I encourage it.  If you have energy here please apply it.  But it
would be nice if you added the speedups to our code base rather than
introduced a dependency on GMP.

I was going to suggest working with Sista, but that leaves the interpreter
VMs out in the cold.

--
best, Eliot