[Vm-dev] Should I push or request a pull?

Ben Coman btc at openinworld.com
Sun Jun 19 01:57:40 UTC 2016

On Sun, Jun 19, 2016 at 8:01 AM, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
>     fixing callbacks on x64 and so too lazy/focussed elsewhere to check whether I should be pushing after each commit.  What is the right process for uploading changes to OpenSmalltalk/vm?
> _,,,^..^,,,_
> best, Eliot

In any case, you need to push the changes from your  local repo  up to
the  github repo.

If you cloned from the official-repo (as you probably are), and...

A. you are working in the Cog branch, then all you need to do is push.

B. you are working in a MyFeature branch, then after pushing to
github, you would also make a github pull request from MyFeature
branch to the Cog branch.

Alternatively, you can merge MyFeature branch into your local Cog
branch (rather than rely on github doing in a pull request) and
continue with A.

If (like me) the local repo was cloned from a personal-fork of the
project (on github), and...

C. I am are working in the Cog branch, then I do B.

D. I am working in a MyFeature branch, I do B.

After any push to github, I find it useful to verify what what github
thinks has happened by reviewing
https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/vm/network.
There may be a few minute delay as the graph is queued to be rebuilt.

cheers -ben