[Vm-dev] Re: build products seem to go to the wrong branch

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 18:00:32 UTC 2016

Hi Ben,

> On Jun 23, 2016, at 9:17 PM, Ben Coman <btc at openinworld.com> wrote:
>

>> On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 11:26 AM, Ben Coman <btc at openinworld.com> wrote:
>> I just did my first vm build from git...
>>
>>   $ git checkout -b firstbuild Cog
>>   $ cd image
>>   $ ./buildspurtrunkvmmakerimage.sh
>>   $ cd build.linux32x86/squeak.cog.spur/build
>>   $ ./mvm
>> Which completes okay, but reports...
>>   Libraries have been installed in:
>>    /home/ben/Repos/OpenSmalltalk/vm/products/cogspurlinuxht/lib/squeak/5.0-201606221719-btc/condense-gitignore
>>
>> but condense-gitignore is not the current branch, but a previous branch I worked on where I didn't even do a build (I'm reasonably sure, but maybe I forget).
>>
>>   $ git branch
>> [snip]
>> * firstbuild
>>   btc/condense-gitignore
>>
>> I poked around and found the message comes from   ./platforms/unix/config/ltmain.sh
>> but I don't see any git commands there to determine the branch, so it seems the branch must be passed to ltmain from somewhere else??
>>
>> cheers -ben
>
> I was sure I had run scripts/updateSCCSVersions before, but running it again fixed the problem
>   $ cd ~/Repos/OpenSmalltalk/vm
>   $ rm -r *
>   $ git checkout -b firstbuild Cog
>   $ git reset --hard HEAD   # not sure if this is the best command to use here
>   $ scripts/updateSCCSVersions
>   $ cd build.linux32x86/squeak.cog.spur/build
>   $ ./mvm
> clean? y
> Libraries have been installed in:
>    /home/ben/Repos/OpenSmalltalk/vm/products/cogspurlinuxht/lib/squeak/5.0-201606230315-firstbuild
>
> However...
>   $ git checkout -b secondbuild Cog
>   $ /mvm
> clean? y
> Libraries have been installed in:
>    /home/ben/Repos/OpenSmalltalk/vm/products/cogspurlinuxht/lib/squeak/5.0-201606230315-firstbuild
>
>   $ ../../../scripts/updateSCCSVersions
>   $ ./mvm
> clean? y
> Libraries have been installed in:
>    /home/ben/Repos/OpenSmalltalk/vm/products/cogspurlinuxht/lib/squeak/5.0-201606182358-secondbuild
>
> So it seems updateSCCSVersions needs to be run *every* time I change branch before running ./mvm.
> Should it be added to mvm?

mvm is simply a convenience build script and there are lots of them.  updateSCCSVersions is to do with updating the state of the checkout if the repository, so it and its effects belong in the realm of hit.  Can we not add git hooks to run it after every update and merge?  That seems to me both the right time to run it and to be the right universe of discourse.

Tim, Fabio is this possible?