[Vm-dev] Re: [Pharo-dev] pharo 5 segfault (stack size?) [FreeBSD]

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 17:04:34 UTC 2016

Hi Ben,

On Sun, Jun 26, 2016 at 6:44 AM, Ben Coman <btc at openinworld.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 26, 2016 at 8:37 PM, Petr Fischer <petr.fischer at me.com> wrote:
> > Yes there is "PharoVMBuilder buildFreeBSD", but some "cog*" errors
> occurs... So I am still building with "PharoVMSpur32Builder buildUnix32"
> under Linux (CentOS6) and then move compiled vm to my FreeBSD box with
> Linux compatibility layer.
> >
> > I compiled DEBUG vm version according to your advice and this is gdb
> output:
> >
> > Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
> > 0x080aefc1 in scavengeReferentsOf (referrer=684415032) at
> /home/pf/pharo/pharo-vm-debug/src/vm/gcc3x-cointerp.c:39014
> > 39014   if (((longAt(referent)) & ((classIndexMask()) -
> (isForwardedObjectClassIndexPun()))) == 0) {
>
> The C files are generated from VMMaker and the line numbers change a
> lot.  If you look upwards in the C file you should see a generated
> comment that links to the Smalltalk source it was generated from.
>

> > I need to learn a little, how to play this "core C" game in gdb...
> > What next?
>
> I recently learnt a bit of using gdb on the image.  I'm planning to
> write up something but its a few weeks off.  The old post How to debug
> the VM? [1] by Mariano needs a bit of adaption, but got me off to a
> good start.  If you look in VMMaker package where  #printAllStacks  is
> defined you'll see some others you can call, that just print the
> current Smalltalk call stack.
>
> [1] https://marianopeck.wordpress.com/2011/04/23/how-to-debug-the-vm/
>

> > A also compiled PharoS (Pharo Stack) VM, and it's 5x slower, but stable,
> there is no stack errors (or other crashes) like in cog spur vm.
>
> You might also try compiling the VM from upstream sources[2], running
> either:
> * vm/build.linux32x86/squeak.cog.spur/build.debug/mvm
> * vm/build.linux64x64/squeak.cog.spur/build.debug/mvm
>
> Did you try the early 64-bit Pharo Image [3] suggested by Esteban in
> another thread ?
>
> Also, you might try Squeak 64-bit Image, since its the platform Eliot
> develops the VM on, so it is further advanced in 64-bit stability.

That's not true.  I develop on Mac OS X using Spur and the 32-bit VM.  I do
run the 64-bit system from time to time and am currently collaborating with
Bob Westergaard to move the Cadence system over to 64-bits.  I do hope to
use 64-bit Spur from day-to-day but am not there yet, not for any reasons
of deficiency in 64-bits but simply because my current, large,
project-laden, VMMaker image is in 32-bits and I've not changed it over yet.

--
best, Eliot