[Vm-dev] Why "object becomeForward: 3" is not working?

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 21:10:04 UTC 2016

Hi Denis,

> On Mar 17, 2016, at 1:57 AM, Denis Kudriashov <dionisiydk at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi.
>
> I investigate that #becomeForward: is not working for SmallInteger args. It is mentioned in method comment:
>> Fails if either argument is a SmallInteger.
>

> I guess that it is not working for any immediate argument. For example it is failed for Character too.
>
> So I am interesting why it is not supported?

It's a lazy coding bug.  Both arrays get checked for validity.  The thing that gets becommed can never be an immediate (you can't do 3 becomeForward: nil etc), even though the other way round makes sense.  So the same routine us used to check both arrays and that fails the primitive.  I'll fix it soon.