[Vm-dev] Simulating the Cog V3 VM

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Tue May 17 17:42:24 UTC 2016

Hi Tim, Hi All,

> On May 17, 2016, at 10:22 AM, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:

>>> Because it is not just a matter of converting the existing object memory,
>>> there are also changes in the image.
>>>
>>> Regarding SystemTracer, this is a nice light-weight approach to doing
>>> the conversion, but Eliot's bootstrap process that uses the simulation
>>> machinery in VMMaker has a lot of advantages too.
>>
>> I understand. But in any case, have you, Levente, David or anyone else produced a spur image that can start, using SystemTracer?
>
> The submit comments in the history of the SystemTracer2 package claim it has been used to trace a working Spur image. I imagine it would have been a contemporary v3 trunk image loaded with SystemTracer2.

Being able to output an image in Spur format is different to outputting a Spur image that includes all the modified methods in object allocation and object enumeration.  I doubt that the system tracer correctly bootstraps a sour image if run from within v3.  I do expect it is able to trace a working spur image from within spur.  Am I wrong to think it isn't smart enough to bootstrap a spur from v3?