[Vm-dev] Simulating the Cog V3 VM

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue May 17 18:09:28 UTC 2016

> On 17-05-2016, at 10:42 AM, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
> {snip}
>
> Being able to output an image in Spur format is different to outputting a Spur image that includes all the modified methods in object allocation and object enumeration.  I doubt that the system tracer correctly bootstraps a sour image if run from within v3.  I do expect it is able to trace a working spur image from within spur.  Am I wrong to think it isn't smart enough to bootstrap a spur from v3?

Yup. Though it *is* harder; you have to substitute those methods as part of the writing out. In general we’d compile the new methods under fake names (assuming it’s actually possible to create appropriate methods, which I guess may be a problem under some circumstances) and substitute them for the old versions, and of course, leave the old versions out altogether. Another possible approach is to rewrite those methods to work for either case, sometimes a doable thing.

tim
Strange OpCodes: HAL: Murder Operator