[Vm-dev] Mac OS Cocoa MIDI Plugin

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue May 17 19:46:01 UTC 2016

> On 17-05-2016, at 12:36 PM, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Hi Tobias,
>>
>> Or timidity++ http://timidity.sourceforge.net/
>
> It's a software synth so doesn't fit serious use where one wants to send midi to ones own midi instruments, be they software synths or external modules.  Not to mention receiving midi data from external controllers.

The current MIDI code does have a connection that makes timidity work, for certain values of work. It’s the current setup on the Pi and the changes were made some time ago by Manabu Sugiura - see https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=88024&p=825177 and the code linked therefrom. The two issues I have with itare
a) it seems to take a long time (at least for the first few notes) to get any sound out to the hdmi or analogue outputs of the Pi
b) the timidity daemon seems to gradually ramp up it’s cpu usage until it is choking an entire core. I do’t know (yet) if this is a fault in the timidity code or in how we are driving it.

tim
Strange OpCodes: XO: Execute Operator