[Vm-dev] VM Maker: VMMaker.oscog-rsf.1951.mcz

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 22:14:14 UTC 2016

Hi Roni, Hi Ryan,

    in the below you, Roni, added extBFirstZero.  As far as I can tell this
breaks the newspeak (and Cadence (*)) VM.  I don't quite see the purpose
of extBFirstZero and urgently need to restore the Newspeak and Cadence
VMs.  So forgive me but I'm going to revert that part of the changes.  It
has caused me to misdiagnose the problems with extPushInteger and
genExtUnconditionalJump.  These I'll revert too.  If this breaks Lowcode
then let's collaborate on developing a fix for Lowcode that doesn't break
Newspeak and Cadence VMs.  But it's a priority of mine (they pay for my
work) to keep these VMs working.

(*) The Cadence VM is a Newspeak VM that does not enforce access control.

On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 9:53 AM, <commits at source.squeak.org> wrote:

> Ronie Salgado Faila uploaded a new version of VMMaker to project VM Maker:
> http://source.squeak.org/VMMaker/VMMaker.oscog-rsf.1951.mcz

> Name: VMMaker.oscog-rsf.1951
> Author: rsf
> Time: 8 September 2016, 6:52:41.871669 pm
> UUID: c714858a-7f63-47bd-a9ec-4bc1350eead2
> Ancestors: VMMaker.oscog-rsf.1915, VMMaker.oscog-eem.1950
>
> Integration of Lowcode.
>
> Lowcode is an extended bytecode set that is encoded using the inline
> primitive facility from the SistaV1 bytecode set.
>
> Building a VM with Lowcode requires the following VMMaker options:
>
>         SistaVM true
>         LowcodeVM true
>         MULTIPLEBYTECODESETS true
>         bytecodeTableInitializer initializeBytecodeTableForSque
> akV3PlusClosuresSistaV1Hybrid
>
> IWST Slides:
>
> http://www.slideshare.net/esug/lowcode-extending-
> smalltalk-with-c-types-to-improve-performance
>
> In addition to these huge changes in the VM, Lowcode has some dependencies
> in some C headers with the inline FFI callout glue, and additional
> sqMemoryAccess.h macros. I will send a patch for inclusion into the
> OpenSmalltalk VM C sources.
>
> =============== Diff against VMMaker.oscog-eem.1950 ===============

best, Eliot