[Vm-dev] Benchmarks on Cuis 5.0 Spur + newest Cog VM

Luciano Notarfrancesco luchiano at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 19:23:41 UTC 2016

Oh, that's great!

The benchmarks are in https://github.com/len/Cuis-Mathematics but I
guess they are not easy to integrate because they depend on a
monolithic package with >250 classes. However, I made a little
benchmark with some of the main bottlenecks of the stuff I'm working
on. All of them could be very easily implemented as primitives (they
translate almost literally to C) but I think there's room for
optimization in pure Smalltalk (certainly with Sista, but perhaps also
without it).

Also, I think for some of them we should have primitives. In
particular, just like we have primitives for testing equality and
hashing Strings (and ByteArrays) in MiscPrimitivePlugin, it would be
nice to have the same for WordArray and the rest of variable indexed
objects (8, 16, 32 and 64 bits).

Feel free to include some of them in speed.squeak.org if you think it
merits inclusion. Let me know if you want me to rewrite the benchmarks
in some other way. If anyone cares, I'll improve them in the future to
include other bottlenecks I find.

Thanks!
Luciano