[Vm-dev] Removing most of the windowing code

Esteban Lorenzano estebanlm at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 07:24:16 UTC 2016

Hi Ronie,

First, this is super cool! I want this to happen since a lot of time :)
Second, observation below

> On 24 Nov 2016, at 08:12, Ronie Salgado <roniesalg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I am working on removing most of windowing code from the VM, and in trying to unify the platform specific code of the VM. In the MinimalistHeadless branch of https://github.com/ronsaldo/opensmalltalk-vm <https://github.com/ronsaldo/opensmalltalk-vm> I made the following changes:
>
> - Unified standard CMake building scripts for Unixes. I hate autoconf. I want to use them in Windows too.

you cannot unilaterally do this.
I hate autoconf too, but in VM list we have a general agreement on how to manage the VM build process, and unless you manage to convince the rest of people working there (and specially Eliot, who works there more than the rest), you have literally zero chance this will be adopted (and then, your work will be a general lose of timeā€¦).
In any case, you have my vote :)

> - Refactoring the Unix entry points. I am trying to remove a lot of code for simplfying stuff.
> - Null window driver for true headless.
> - Optional SDL2 based traditional display backend for compatibility reasons, and because the extra Morphic worlds using OSWindow are a bit unstable.
>
> So far I managed to run a standard Pharo 6 image using this custom VM in Linux. Windows and Mac are coming next. Hopefully this is going to fix the problems with duplicated events when using OSWindow in Windows.

this is sooo super :)

> I am also planning on making a standard interface for embedding the VM in an application, at least as a static library. With this new building system, this seems to be easy to do.

even more super :)

where can I see the code?

Esteban