[Vm-dev] Does anyone have the source to findSubstringViaPrimitive:in:startingAt:matchTable: ?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Oct 1 20:17:42 UTC 2016

On Sat, Oct 01, 2016 at 05:14:14PM +0200, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Oct 2016, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>
> That name is a pharoism. In Squeak it's still
> findSubstring:in:startingAt:matchTable:.
> Perhaps the recent merge has overwritten it.
>
> Levente

This naming inconsistency is a long standing annoyance that should be
fixed. As of Feb 2011, I thought that we had reached agreement to do
the necessary cleanup in the Pharo image:

  http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2011-February/006781.html

Maybe that was just wishful thinking on my part. I can no longer find the
original email exchange, but I think it was on the pharo list.

Maybe someone could open an issue on the Pharo bug tracker to make this
problem go away?

The original problem was addressed by Nicolas and Andreas:

  http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6366

Meanwhile a workaround was introduced in Pharo, resulting in the renamed
method.

But once fixed in the VM, the Pharo workaround was no longer required,
and should have been removed so that the Squeak and Pharo images would
not require different VMMaker versions:

  http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7479