[Vm-dev] Strange unix (Pi) vm event bug for july 2016 era vm build

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sat Oct 8 17:01:35 UTC 2016

> On 08-10-2016, at 6:19 AM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
>

> On Fri, Oct 07, 2016 at 08:43:23PM -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:
>>
>> Right, well I think I have a handle on this oddity. It???s both trickier and simpler than I expected.
>>
>> We (as in Pi Towers) built a new package with the 20160818 0858 vm. Yippee!
>>
>> Oh pooh; install it and the bug is still there. Damn. How is this possible?
>>
>> Binary diff all the vm files (such fun) and they???re all identical. But when the vm is in my working directory it is fine - in the /usr/lib/blah end-user location, bug. How is it possible?
>>
>> Actually I???m going to stop there and see if anyone else spots what is happening, just for fun.
>>

> Keyboard settings. Your personal account on the PI is configured for a
> different keyboard setting than whatever is delivered by default for Raspian.

That’s so close it’s worthy of applause.

The one key difference between running the ‘0818’ vm in my local dir and in the ‘production’ dir is the content of the ‘squeak’ shell script. The production version is (for various reasons I can’t work out really) the script that we worked out to run the composition input subsystem a while back. I’m not sure why the lines that test for the need for the -compositioninput flag aren’t in the dev version.

It’s not even the use of the flag, but a side-effect of exporting $LANG. Combined, I strongly suspect but can’t prove yet, with *not* having all the additional support libraries etc installed. My guess right now is that there is a bug in the relevant code in sqUnixEvent or vm-display-X11 that looks for $LANG when it should only do that if the flag is also set.

I guess I have to install all the extra stuff on one of my Pi to see if that stops the problem even with $LANG getting exported. And any help on spotting where the actual bug is would be nice. X stuff is pretty opaque.

tim
"Bother!" said Pooh, searching for the $10m winning lottery ticket.