[Vm-dev] Strange unix (Pi) vm event bug for july 2016 era vm build

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Oct 8 20:05:20 UTC 2016

On Sat, Oct 08, 2016 at 07:47:49PM +0200, Tobias Pape wrote:

> On 08.10.2016, at 19:13, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
>

> >> On 08-10-2016, at 10:01 AM, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> X stuff is pretty opaque.
> >
> > I take that back. It?s $%&#$%#98!@#ing insane. Time ten to the google?th power. Cubed.

Well maybe. But it was designed well enough to have lasted 30 years.
The computers and operating systems and network protocols that X11 was
designed for (VAX, DECnet, VMS, Ultrix, and whatever IBM was using
back then) are all long gone. But X11 is still happily chugging along
on our tiny cheap Raspberry Pi gadgets, and it is included free with
our free operating systems. Somebody must have done something right.

More importantly, if you compare the X11 event model to the Squeak
event model, I think that it is fair to say that we have some room
for improvement in Squeak. And perhaps there are a few things that
we might learn by taking a closer look at the X11 event design.

> > Oh, and take a look at vm-display-X11/sqUnixX11.c ll: 2473-7 ; why on earth is a mouse button event getting modified differently if the cpu is PPC?
>
> Maybe because Unix X11 on PPC meant OSX-PPC for quite a while?
> Macs do things different. When they should at most do things differently?

Possibly it is something related to the different byte ordering on that
platform. It has been that way since at least 2003, so it is not likely
related to any recent bugs.