[Vm-dev] Strange unix (Pi) vm event bug for july 2016 era vm build

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Mon Oct 10 18:03:16 UTC 2016

> On 10-10-2016, at 5:15 AM, Henrik Johansen <henrik.s.johansen at veloxit.no> wrote:
>
> 20160915 had one redeeming feature from my PoV; it shipped with a working OSProcessPlugin (thanks!)

OK, that’s an interesting issue. I don’t recall adding it and I don’t recall removing it..

> 20160915+1 does not. (but stdout/stdin/stderr, which gave write errors in previous, seem fixed).

Slightly later vm, presumably post some fix.

> I can't do
> apt-get install nuscratch=20160915
> to get the old version after a dist-upgrade, seemingly the package cache only maintains latest version?

No idea on that. I’m not sure the package is fully and properly set up to be honest. I don’t have anything to do with that part.

> A minor thing; secondary users can't run squeak/scratch by default, getting "pthread_setschedparam not permitted" error (The pi user must have quite some super rights...)
> As the shipped vm is a ht variant, although the base case for scratch use rarely requires it*, it would be nice if /etc/security/limits.d/squeak.conf was added as part of the squeak package as described in README on f.ex. www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/latest
> I've tested, and it works.

You’re referring to not-pi user names yes? I’ve not tried using any such and I don’t think anyone recommends it because of issues like this. I’ve seen occasional messages on the subject on the Pi forums. To be honest I’d urge you to go there (raspberrypi.org, try the Raspbian forum) to ask about it. The sigline insult below applies to me in this area.

My experience with user privilege issues is using xrdp or vnc to remotely display stuff. We just got that sorted (I think!) in the latest Raspbian.

> (Also, the error message referenced a README with url to a non-existent build on mirandabanda.org, not sure if it was built from same source as CI, or if that message should be updated to reference bintray?)

Guess that’s an issue for Eliot to handle since it is his website.

> Cheers,
> Henry
>
> * After all, there's no UI to change users, and though I guess some kid out there would find digging into unix cli authorization management** a blast, for the rest of us, it's something to endure when necessary.
>
> **  "Why can't I see any WiFi nets? What do you mean my useradd'ed user isn't in the proper (netdev) group? Who is wpa_supplicant, and why is he making my life harder on purpose?”
He is a close friend of General ProtectionError, who is forever reading my disk.

tim
Useful random insult:- Has a one-way ticket on the Disoriented Express.