[Vm-dev] Strange unix (Pi) vm event bug for july 2016 era vm build

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Mon Oct 10 23:54:59 UTC 2016

I’ve spent a positively *delightful* day trying to debug this awful code and I’m pretty much out of sanity.

What I’ve been able to find out is -

the exporting of LC_ALL = $LANG causes usage of the x2sqKeyInput() function (via pointer x2sqKey) instead of x2sqKeyPlain().

with x2sqKeyPlain() in use there is no bug here.

with x2sqKeyInput() in use, something results in a -1 value being returned to handleEvent() case KeyRelease where `keyCode= x2sqKey…` is called. This means the next clause skips the key up event, which seems to be the problem. My best guess is that the problem must be something to do with the settings of the local static var lastKey.

The part that really puzzles me is that we appeared to not have a problem when the assorted iBus/anthy stuff loaded; I can only imagine that there is some affect relating to XmbLookupString() that is magic. I can’t recall any problem with the chording of keypresses between when I installed that (around july when working with Yoshiki on the composition input stuff) and moving to the new Raspbian release where the ibus etc is not installed. Right now I simply don’t have time or energy to push this any further and mess with installing and de-installing things.

Somebody that actually feels they understand it will have to jump in!

tim
Computing Dictionary: Recursive: (see Recursive)