[Vm-dev] updating configure.ac

phil at highoctane.be phil at highoctane.be
Mon Oct 17 07:31:09 UTC 2016

On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 8:59 AM, Esteban Lorenzano <estebanlm at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 17 Oct 2016, at 02:07, Ben Coman <btc at openInWorld.com> wrote:
>
> Phil, Could you outline the steps.  Are you doing something other than
> this...
> https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-vm
>

> I think he is talking “in general”, not about the VM in particular.
>
> In general. But also about the VM since I wanted to build it for
OSX/Win/Linux and CMake + the image code supporting it, while initially a
royal PITA (version had to be correct etc) proved to be very useful for a
lot of things because it was all logical, variables could be set nicely etc.
The CMake UI also allows to detect for a number of crappy mistakes, so, a
godsend.

It can also generate XCode project files, which is very useful.

autoconf and makefiles, no thanks.

The image side CMake support looks great to me, better than the VMMaker
green UI, which well, let's keep it at that.

It also working nice with a CI server, so why use stoneage tooling when you
have a more modern one available?

Learn the damn CMake and profit. We want a great VM, let's use great tools.

Phil