[Vm-dev] updating configure.ac

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 22:00:27 UTC 2016

Tobias,

On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 10:49 PM, Tobias Pape <Das.Linux at gmx.de> wrote:

> On 18.10.2016, at 02:57, Ben Coman <btc at openinworld.com> wrote:
>

> > On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 5:31 AM, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Phil,

> than this...

> OSX/Win/Linux and CMake + the image code supporting it, while initially a
> royal PITA (version had to be correct etc) proved to be very useful for a
> lot of things because it was all logical, variables could be set nicely etc.
> so, a godsend.

> VMMaker green UI, which well, let's keep it at that.
> >>

> >> That tool is not used to generate VM source.

> when you have a more modern one available?

> tools.
> >>

> >> There is agreement amongst the CogVM builders that
> >> - we will use cake or autoconf to generate a cogConfig.h that describes
> the build target platform's capabilities
> >> - we will /not/ use either autoconf or cake to generate VM makefiles
> >
> > Most of my reading indicates the main virtue of CMake over autoconf is
> > the generation of makefiles for different build systems.
>
> ACK.
> it can generate Xcode, VisualStudio, Eclipse… project files, which
> _tremendously_ eases
> debugging.

With respect, only in limited genres.  Firstly VM debugging is much easier
in the simulator than in C.  No ammount of navigation through the C code
can compensate for the fact that the C is an output language, and not the
language of implementation for the key parts of the VM.  Second, in
debugging the core VM, the support functions that print stack frames and
backtraces, objects, references to objects, free lists, etc, etc.  It is
these that make i possible to debug the VM (as an execution engine, not the
support C code), and make project files an inadequate solution.  VM state
is /not/ the C stack, the locus of attention in a traditional C debugger.

> Dear CogVM builders, what is the IDE you use for development and debugging
> that works
> with the "only for config.h" scheme? I'm really interested.
> (And no, editor+gdb does not count)

The simulator, primarily, i.e. Squeak or Pharo.  Next, indeed gdb or lldb
plus the significant number of debugging functions included in the VM. And
it /does/ count.

That said, I have no objection if someone builds a CMake scheme to generate
project files for those debugging support C code.  I will still council
that this effort is wasted when trying to debug the VM as an execution
engine; for that one really has to learn the architecture and become
familiar with the debug functions (and yes, good documentation would help
here, and a lot more than a project file).

What I *do* object to is the use of these project files for a build
system.  For the last time, I *will not* support such a move.  Experience
has shown (already 8 yard on Cog) that these get in the way of an efficient
build system; they are inflexible and slow.  The lean mean gmake files are
much much better.  So _please_ desist from pushing project build makefiles
via CMake.  I find this direction antagonising; I have expressed myself
clearly on the point, and I have not seen any convincing counterarguments.
So can we please settle on the fact that we have agreed to use gmake
makefiles for builds.  Enough said?

--
best, Eliot