[Vm-dev] Strange unix (Pi) vm event bug for july 2016 era vm build

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 22:46:13 UTC 2016

Hi David, Hi Tim,

On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 4:52 PM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 11:03:16AM -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:
> >

> > > On 10-10-2016, at 5:15 AM, Henrik Johansen <
> henrik.s.johansen at veloxit.no> wrote:
> > >
> > > 20160915 had one redeeming feature from my PoV; it shipped with a
> working OSProcessPlugin (thanks!)
> >
> > OK, that???s an interesting issue. I don???t recall adding it and I
> don???t recall removing it..
> >

> Use VMConstruction-Plugins-OSProcessPlugin-dtl.40. That is the latest
> version of my OSProcessPlugin, and it works correctly on Raspbian.
>
> VMConstruction-Plugins-OSProcessPlugin.oscog-eem.53 does not work on
> Raspbian, and it fails UnixProcessAccessorTestCase>>testRedirectStdOutTo.

This is unsatisfactory.  I forked from
VMConstruction-Plugins-OSProcessPlugin-dtl.40
because the Slang support has evolved for VMMaker.oscog, and not
sufficiently for VMMaker.  For example, the VMMaker code assumes the source
is generated for the current platform, whereas the VMMaker.oscog code
assumes the plugin is generated irrespective of platform (because in
opensmalltalk/vm we store the generated code, and hence we want code
generated for all platforms, not just the "current" one).

In no way was I trying to undermine OSProcessPlugin or your authorship.  i
merely wanted to keep the code moving along with the rest of VMMaker.oscog
so I could continue to generate the plugin source.

So, in the absence of our harmonising the source so there is again only one
VMConstruction-Plugins-OSProcessPlugin, can we please fold back the bug
fixes?  If you point out what the bug fixes are I'll happily do the merge.

--
best, Eliot