[Vm-dev] build.macos*/third-party

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 23:19:30 UTC 2016

Hi Esteban, Hi volunteers,

    I somewhat like this structure:

build.macos32x86/third-party:
cairo           libgit2         libsdl2         openssl         pkgconfig
freetype2       libpng          libssh2         pixman

build.macos64x64/third-party:
cairo           libgit2         libsdl2         openssl         pkgconfig
freetype2       libpng          libssh2         pixman

What's wrong currently is that e.g. build.macos*/pharo.cog.spur builds each
library in its build subdirectories
(build.macos*/pharo.cog.spur/{build,buildast,building}/third-party) and so
there is duplication.

Instead can we not organise it this way:  Add build, buildast and builddbg
directories to each of the third-party directories and cd there to do the
builds?  That way we build each library once only per production,assert or
debug build, and not once per specific build.  This way we can share e.g.
the openssl library built from build.macos*/third-party/openssl between all
of the builds (stack & cog x pharo,squeak,newspeak), which is 6 times less
build effort.

best, Eliot