[Vm-dev] [squeak-dev] MQTT for Squeak?

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sun Oct 30 18:29:36 UTC 2016

> On 30-10-2016, at 9:06 AM, KenD <Ken.Dickey at Whidbey.com> wrote:
>
> On Sun, 30 Oct 2016 21:26:26 +0800
> Ben Coman <btc at openinworld.com> wrote:
>

>> On Sun, Oct 30, 2016 at 6:37 AM, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
>>> And now I have my ESP8266 with DHT22 temp/humidity sensor publishing ok. Arduino c++ is really quite an amazingly unpleasant language. We need Smalltalk on these things!
>>
>> How small could we conceivably make the VM to fit on one of these...?
>> https://www.arduino.cc/en/Products/Compare
>
> Perhaps by upgrading to a better chip?
>  https://getchip.com/pages/chip
>  https://getchip.com/pages/chippro
>
> Lower left of monitor (used $7) is a C.H.I.P. computer ($9) with VGA ($10) plug-in.  With $10 keyboard and used mouse, the most expensive parts were the USB hub and connectors.  Running Cuis Smalltalk on Linux (https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev) but you could possibly run Squeak.

Oh, we can do better than that Ken; the RaspberryPi Zero is only $5 (admittedly, hard to find) and includes hdmi video/audio out. And of course, comes with a Cog VM and Scratch :-)  And actually runs Squeak pretty well, though I’d recommend unloading Shout to make text handling a lot faster. Or run in non-morphic projects. And Cuis should be pretty decent, of course.

Coming soon will be ARMv8 based embedded devices not too different to the ESP32; they should be fun.

And slightly further off-topic, but possibly of interest for some projects -
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/874883570/marvell-espressobin-board
Not as fast as a Pi3, being only dual-core, but much faster IO ports and three Gb ethernet ports. And SATA & PCIE.

tim
An algorithm must be seen to be believed.