[Vm-dev] [Pharo-dev] ftp repositories broken

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 18:03:26 UTC 2017

On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 10:00 AM, Denis Kudriashov <dionisiydk at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> > I think you are wrong because I check it carefully in Squeak and I
>> found it on github https://github.com/OpenSmallta
>> lk/opensmalltalk-vm/search?utf8=✓&q=primitiveFindSubstring&type=.
>>

>> still is not there, because is not the same primitive :)
>>

> Does it also means that latest VM is built differently then stable?
> (primitive works on stable pharo). I just thought that we already moved to
> opensmalltalk build process.

Not yet.  We are close. Last week I got angry with Esteban because I
thought that the joe was stalled because Pharo didn't want to move to
opensmalltalk-vm, but I over reacted.  One of the issues preventing the
move was indeed this primitive and the fact that someone, without thinking
to talk to anyone working with the VM, renamed the primitive, and then
someone put it on the wrong class.  Esteban and I have spent some hours
trying to work around such issues.  I wish people would be more considerate.

If issues like this can be resolved we are very close to using the
opensmalltalk-vm process for stable Pharo VMs.  Esteban wants (and has
built) a test build that tries to produce sources and generate Vs and runs
tests every time VMMaker is committed.  On the Squeak side we only try and
build VMs when opensmalltalk-vm is committed in git.  I don't want to stand
in Esteban's way.  I *do* want stable VMs to be built from the
opensmalltalk-vm tree.

best, Eliot