[Vm-dev] Unix heartbeat thread vs itimer

Ben Coman btc at openinworld.com
Sun Apr 9 01:39:12 UTC 2017

On Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 10:44 PM, Guillermo Polito <guillermopolito at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was checking the code in sqUnixHeartbeat.c to see how the heartbeat
> thread/itimer worked. It somehow bothers me that there are different
> compiled artifacts, one per option.
>
> What do you think about having a VM that manages that as an argument
> provided when we launch the VM? This would add some flexibility that we
> don't have right now because we make the decision at compile time.

Can someone advise how to create a new VM setting and read/write to it from
the Image?

As a challenge, I'd actually like to play with dynamically switching the
heatbeat between threaded & timer while the Image is running.

Also it would be nice for the Image to be able to inspect what priorities
the heatbeat thread is running at.

As well, what is the simplest reliably crashing example of signal conflict
with the timer-beat VM?

cheers -ben