[Vm-dev] patching vmmaker

Ben Coman btc at openinworld.com
Sun Apr 16 14:17:24 UTC 2017

On Sun, Apr 16, 2017 at 12:09 PM, K K Subbu <kksubbu.ml at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sunday 16 April 2017 02:12 AM, Clément Bera wrote:
>

>> The main VMMaker repo is on http:/source.squeak/org/VMMaker, not on
>> smalltalkhub. The repo is common with other programming languages than
>> Pharo.
>>

> This is a relief ;-). I really appreciate prompt and helpful replies in
> this list in spite of your tight deadlines. Thanks a ton.
>
> To integrate your changes into the main repo you may send a mail to
>> vm-dev (in CC). If you plan to commit frequently in the VMMaker
>> repository you may ask for commit rights on the repo. Alternatively you
>> may hope that someone with rights will look into your changes. Any
>> change that break one of the builds (including all platforms,
>> programming languages supported, vm versions) that has no massive impact
>> on the VM (performance, stability or feature) is usually ignored.
>>

> I expect to contribute to VM code (Slang and platform/unix code). I just
> returned to this list after a 3 yr break and trying to reorient myself with
> the repo changes.  If I understand right,

I'm not a definitive source, but I can answer from what I've gathered from
other posts
(and so also I get my understanding checked)

>  * Mainline for VM Slang remains at the above MC repo

yes.

>  * Mainline for VM platforms code has moved from
> squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/trunk to opensmalltalk-vm github and issues are
> tracked in this github repo.

yes.  Although currently "Issues" is not routinely dealt with.  At the
moment it seems more of a wish list.
Problems tend to be dealt with directly via vm-dev discussion, and fixes
committed directly to the HEAD.
This may end up used more as more contributors come along.

>  * squeak SVN now works downstream of opensmalltalk-vm github repo for
> squeak vm releases.

Squeak-VM "nightly" builds are being done from git, not SVN.
I don't know about Squeak's official major version releases.

>  * pharo-project works downstream of opensmalltalk-vm github repo for
> pharo vm releases.

This past year (or more?) Pharo has been progressively moving closer
and closer to OpenSmalltalk build system.
Recently, pharo has some deployment occuring from OpenSmalltalk CI.
*
http://forum.world.st/can-I-modify-deploy-scripts-for-Pharo-td4941277.html#a4941386
*
http://forum.world.st/OpenSmalltalk-opensmalltalk-vm-148e5a-Merge-commit-f155ee36a5c843c9f01c1ffc3b32399fdeb3-td4941795.html
* https://bintray.com/opensmalltalk/vm/cog/201704120850#files

But the existing pharo-only CI infrastructure remains in addition to the
OpenSmalltalk-CI.
* https://ci.inria.fr/pharo/view/VM/

 * Issues specific to squeak/pharo packaging should be posted to their
> respective projects and mailing lists.

Correct at Image level, but any VM packaging should also copy vm-dev list.

>  * patches to VM platforms should be submitted to vm-dev for
> opensmalltalk-vm and then squeak/pharo projects will pull them as necessary.

At VM level there is currently little distinction between downstream
projects.
Their builds are defined within OpenSmalltalk...
*
https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/tree/Cog/build.macos32x86/pharo.cog.spur
*
https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/tree/Cog/build.macos32x86/squeak.cog.spur
*
https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/tree/Cog/build.macos32x86/newspeak.cog.spur

Each downstream project has commit rights to OpenSmalltalk.
So its all the same source with the main differences in build
options, plugins and third-part libs.

btw, you may find this of interest...
*
http://forum.world.st/Minutes-of-the-Meeting-to-Discuss-Moving-Cog-to-Github-td4896416.html