[Vm-dev] [Pharo-users] VM/Image magic numbers (Re: Pharo 6 snap install)

Luke Gorrie luke at snabb.co
Wed Apr 19 10:54:23 UTC 2017

Thanks for the tip, Subbu.

I am using your 'magic' file definition in a script based on David's one.
The user can write 'pharo my.image' and it will automatically run a
suitable VM. I have tested this now with Moose 6.1, Pharo 6.0, Pharo64 6.0,
Pharo 5.0, Pharo 4.0, Pharo 3.0, and DrGeo.

Now I am hoping to make this all work with Pharo Launcher. That image isn't
starting for me at the moment, for some reason, so I have to troubleshoot.
Then I hope I will be able to tell PharoLauncher to run the images with my
script somehow.

The binfmts trick doesn't suit me for two reasons. One is that it creates a
global association but I want to be able to install many versions of the
pharo VM at the same time (selected via $PATH and managed by nix.) The
other is that I consider running commands as root to be an unrealistic
expectation for people wanting to run a GUI application (same reason I
dislike the realtime priority warning.)

Cheers!
-Luke