[Vm-dev] squeak trunk patches

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Mon Apr 24 23:17:10 UTC 2017

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 11:36:04PM +0530, K K Subbu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is squeak trunk SVN still taking in patches? It would be useful to have
> a MAINTAINERS file in platforms/ that is keep current.

Most of the active development work is happening in the GitHub repository.
But patches to keep the classic interpreter VM updated are welcome.

> I found auto-generated sources in the trunk in multiple places in the
> repo. e.g
>
> $ wc -l {.,./platforms/{iOS/vm,unix,win32/build}}/src/vm/interp.c
>   29638 ./src/vm/interp.c
>       0 ./platforms/iOS/vm/src/vm/interp.c
>   29434 ./platforms/unix/src/vm/interp.c
>   29080 ./platforms/win32/build/src/vm/interp.c
>
> The src in unix and win32 seems to be remnants from old builds. Should
> they continue in the SVN?

Those ./src subdirectories are obsolete. The most current generated
sources are kept in the ./src directory next to ./platforms in
http://squeakvm.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/squeak/trunk/

These are up to date generated sources for the classic interpreter (not
for Cog and Spur VMs, see the GitHub repository for that).

> I have attached a SVN patch for Makefile.example to override hard-coded
> paths from scripts. E.g. build, install and smoke test in tmpfs.
>
> $ cd $(mktemp -d /tmp/build.XXX)
> $ cp ../../platforms/unix/cmake/Makefile.example .
> $ mkdir target
> $ make I=`pwd`/target P=~/squeak/platforms S=~/squeak/src
> $ make install
> $ ./target/bin/squeak $TESTIMAGE
>
> Regards .. Subbu

Thanks, I committed your patch.

FYI, the following people have access to the old SVN repository, as indicated
by the dav_svn.access file:

[groups]
squeak-branches = piumarta, johnmci, lewis, bernd, nedkonz, freudenberg, takashi, sig, eliot, esteban, rowledge, topa, marcel.taeumel, nice
squeak-HydraVM = piumarta, johnmci, lewis, bernd, nedkonz, freudenberg, takashi, sig, fulmer, esteban
squeak-tags = piumarta, johnmci, lewis, eliot, esteban, topa, marcel.taeumel, nice
squeak-src = lewis
squeak-cross = piumarta, lewis, rowledge, eliot, johnmci, nice
squeak-unix = piumarta, lewis, eliot, johnmci, nice
squeak-win32 = piumarta, lewis, eliot, topa, marcel.taeumel, nice
squeak-macos = piumarta, lewis, eliot, johnmci, nice
squeak-ios = esteban, johnmci
squeak-riscos = rowledge
squeak64 = piumarta, lewis