[Vm-dev] nix based build system (was problem with configure and libGL on CentOS 6.5)

Ben Coman btc at openinworld.com
Thu Apr 27 03:40:20 UTC 2017

On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 9:33 AM, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com>
 wrote:

> Hi All,
>
>     I just tried to build 64-bit VMs in build.linux64x64 on CentOS 6.5, a
> system I've been building such VMs on for a long time now.  The configure
> step produced a config.h which specifies
>
> #define HAVE_GL_GL_H 1
> #define USE_X11_GLX 1
>
> but -lGL was not added to the X_LIBS= line in the generated
> vm-display-X11/Makefile
>
> Anyone know why this is or how to fix it?  It's frustrating not to be able
> to build out of the box on linux :-(
>
> _,,,^..^,,,_
> best, Eliot

Sorry this doesn't help right now (and I have a side question so I'll start
a new thread)

and maybe its something changed recently in our build,
but the nix packaging system I recently tuned in on would seem to solve
some of these problem.

IIUC, you can rock up anywhere, and replicate the *exact* same build
environment on *any* linux machine.  Good for setting up partners and new
contributors.
@Eliot, would this be something worthwhile for me to look into?

@Luke, how would you rate the feasibility of a binary built on nix
being packaged for other linux distributions?

cheers -ben