[Vm-dev] fixing the binary builds

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 02:34:35 UTC 2017

On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 7:23 PM, Ben Coman <btc at openinworld.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 7:00 AM, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> Hi All,
>>
>>     right now at least the binary mac builds are broken because they use
>> the latest SDK and so are unusable on anything older than 10.11.  Who holds
>> the keys to bintray?  I'd like to try and fix this.
>>
>> _,,,^..^,,,_
>> best, Eliot
>>

> Are we using something like [1]....  " cc   -mmacosx-version-min=10.6
> -Wpartial-availability"
> and the CI might be made to fail if it sees any "introduced in macOS"
> warnings ??
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11684302/mac-sdk-
> using-latest-sdk-but-ensuring-backwards-compatibility-with-earlier-depl

I have no idea.  I don't know how the bintray builds are administered,
where the repository is, who setup the bintray builds, etc.  I'm eager to
talk with anyone who can enlighten me.

My understanding is that what one does is install a suitable SDK.  If you
look in build.macosXXX/common/Makefile.flags you'll see the available SDKs
are searched for the minimum available that works for the configuration
(10.9 for 32-bit 10.10 for 64-bit).  See the build.macosXXX/HowToBuild
files for info on obtaining older SDKs.

> This could be useful...
> http://www.deploymateapp.com/
>
> A rant that is quite Insightful...
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15091105/confusion-
> of-how-to-make-osx-app-backward-compatible-how-to-test-them
>
> btw, what is the officially support OSX version?

IMO that's defined in the above files.  I've tested against the 10.9 and
10.10 SDKs.  I have a 10.9 machine and so try and keep the builds
supporting 10.9.  The current binary VMs support only 10.11, and that's not
good IMO.  What I want is to upgrade the bintray build to add the SDKs.  I
don't know if that's possible; if the version of Xcode is compatible with
that approach etc.  But since I can't get access to the bintray setup I
have no idea if this is possible.

best, Eliot