[Vm-dev] CameraPlugin segmentation fault on 64-bit Linux

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Sun Apr 30 20:07:33 UTC 2017

_,,,^..^,,,_ (phone)

> On Apr 29, 2017, at 9:08 AM, Daniel Drake <drake at endlessm.com> wrote:
>

> Hi Dave,
>
>> On Sat, Apr 29, 2017 at 9:58 AM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
>> I don't think that the camera plugin was ever made 64-bit clean. A bug report
>> is at http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7816
>>
>> This would be a good project for an interested volunteer :-)
>
> I'm an interested volunteer, knowledgeable of 32 vs 64 bit challenges
> but with no squeak-vm experience. Can you briefly provide some
> direction of where to start here?

Hi Daniel,

this will get you started with building a tip VMMaker image:

http://www.mirandabanda.org/cogblog/build-image/

There is a glitch.  The scripts don't currently  download a vm for you but you can build your own in the context of the repository or you can download a vm from bintray or use the vm you're using now.  The script explains how to substitute a vm.

There are workspaces in the image that the comatose n how to generate sources.

If you look in the archives for the list you should give me discussion of making sources 32-bit clean and using sqIntptr_t as the type for a parameter that takes a Smalltalk oop in both 32 and 64 bits.

It's likely that headers and support code that use int parameters have to be changed to use sqInt or sqIntptr_t, depending on whether they actually receive an oop or a pointer.  Mac & Linux are LP64, windows is LLP64.