[Vm-dev] Mac and iOS VMs - how to debug?

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 19:53:00 UTC 2017

Hi Todd,

On Wed, Aug 16, 2017 at 11:25 AM, Todd Blanchard <tblanchard at mac.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm interested in 1) learning more about how the VM interfaces with the
> Mac OS.  Usually to get a feel for this sort of thing I'd build the thing
> in Xcode, run it in the debugger, set some breakpoints, and observe the
> stack traces.  Since the VM is built using command line tools, what's a
> good way to get the VM under a debugger so I can observe it running?  I'm
> more interested in the platform specific bits rather than the portable
> parts.

Building with Xcode is not supported because Xcode offers no
parameterization of their project definitions and hence maintaining several
project files is not feasible.  We use the clang compiler and the lldb
debugger.  Simply build the VM of choice as described by
{build.macos32x86,build.macos64x64}/HowToBuild using the relevant mvm
script (e.g.  build.macos64x64/squeak.cog.spur/mvm) and debug either the
assert or the debug VM via lldb.  You can debug the production VM but its
debuggability is limited.

> 2) Is there an iOS VM?  I cloned the git repo and see build directories
> for a number of platforms.  I don't see anything other than desktops.  No
> raspberry pi, no iOS etc... I do find some references to these in the
> platforms directory but I don't quite understand how it all fits together.

By iOS do you mean iOS on iPhone?  If so, contact John McIntosh.  He is
actively developing VMs for iOS.  There maybe others too.  If by iOS you
mean using the Cocoa interface instead of the Carbon interface, then all
the standard Mac OS builds are now Cocoa builds.

--
best, Eliot