[Vm-dev] Default memory allocation of the vm

Norbert Hartl norbert at hartl.name
Wed Aug 23 08:05:01 UTC 2017

I'm migrating all my services to 64bit pharo6 at the moment. In the monitoring I saw that the vm allocates something around around 150 MB and has approx. 96 MB free in heap. I changed the startup of my services to use —mmap 64m but it resulted in a 10-20MB bigger allocation as you can see from the chart

What I want to know:

- how much memory does the vm allocate at startup without any commandline options?
- Is that default value smaller than 64 MB which would explain the behviour in the chart. If so why is at —mmap 64m the heap 96 m free?
- when does the vm a full GC? When memory becomes sparse or earlier?

thanks,

Norbert