[Vm-dev] Fwd: Merging FilesAttributesPlugin

Alistair Grant akgrant0710 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 10:48:43 UTC 2017

Hi Clément,

On 22 December 2017 at 11:29, Clément Bera <bera.clement at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What is the status of the FilesAttributesPlugin ?

I'm hoping that it will be integrated soon.

> I would like to make it available by default on pharo VMs.

Yes, please. :-)

> Questions:
>
> 1) Is it already merged with another plugin ?

I'm not sure that I understand the question.  FileAttributesPlugin
works along side FilePlugin (which is obviously already part of the
pharo VM).

> 2) If not, for integration, should I move the FilesAttributesPlugin from its external smalltalkhub repository to VMMaker-Plugins package ?

That's my guess, but someone knowledgable needs to answer this.

> 3) What is the right way to generate a plugin ? I use this:
>
> (VMMaker
> makerFor: StackInterpreter
> and: nil
> with: #()
> to: (FileDirectory default pathFromURI: '../src')
> platformDir: (FileDirectory default pathFromURI: '../platforms')
> including: #(FileAttributesPlugin)
> ) generateExternalPlugin: FileAttributesPlugin
>
> Is that correct ?
> It seems it generates only the C file but no header file.

There isn't a FileAttributesPlugin.h.  It does need the platform support file:

platforms/win32/plugins/FileAttributesPlugin/Makefile.plugin

which is already part of opensmalltalk-vm.

I've always used VMMakerTool to make the plugin, but if it's
generating the .c file it's probably correct.

My plan was that once the plugin was added to VMMaker-Plugins that I
would test it again on linux and windows, and then ask for the
appropriate plugins.int to be updated.

Thanks!
Alistair