[Vm-dev] Fwd: Merging FilesAttributesPlugin

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 16:18:44 UTC 2017

Hi Clément,

> On Dec 22, 2017, at 2:29 AM, Clément Bera <bera.clement at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> What is the status of the FilesAttributesPlugin ? I would like to make it available by default on pharo VMs.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1) Is it already merged with another plugin ?
>
> 2) If not, for integration, should I move the FilesAttributesPlugin from its external smalltalkhub repository to VMMaker-Plugins package ?
>
> 3) What is the right way to generate a plugin ? I use this:
>
> (VMMaker
> 		makerFor: StackInterpreter
> 		and: nil
> 		with: #()
> 		to: (FileDirectory default pathFromURI: '../src')
> 		platformDir: (FileDirectory default pathFromURI: '../platforms')
> 		including: #(FileAttributesPlugin)
> ) generateExternalPlugin: FileAttributesPlugin

That looks right to me.  Header files have to be written by hand.  They define the internal interface the plugin uses, not the external interface of the plugin.

You can see how plugins are generated "officially" by following what generateVMPlugins does.  It is also sent by generateAllConfigurationsUnderVersionControl which is the master generator.

For convenience I open a VMMakerTool to build plugins, with
    Interpreter class name = StackInterpreter
    Path to platforms source = as appropriate for your directories, e.g. ../platforms
    Platform name = Cross
    Path to generated sources = as appropriate for your directories, e.g. ../src
Drag plugins to the right hand list and use the pop up menu to generate the one you select.