[Vm-dev] [Pharo-dev] FFICallback crashes windows spur i386 vm

Nicolas Cellier nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 08:29:06 UTC 2017

nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com>:

>> > On 17 Jan 2017, at 19:43, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi Nicolas, Hi Esteban,
>>
>> Hi all,
>>

>> >     so is it feasible to insist on clang?  The mingw compiler is
>> ancient, so my preference is to move to clang.  If so, could someone update
>> the HowToBuild to describe the problem with mingw and how to install the
>> clang-based toolchain?
>>

>> > from cygwin (or cygwin64) shell:
>> >
>> > $ i686-w64-mingw32-gcc --version
>> > i686-w64-mingw32-gcc (GCC) 5.4.0
>> > Copyright (C) 2015 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>> > This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is
>> NO
>> > warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
>> PURPOSE.
>>

>> maybe I am missing something but GCC 5.4 was released in Summer 2016 and
>> is
>> still supported. Couldn't it be that the better optimizers in GCC expose
>> an
>> issue that clang is not capable of exposing (yet?)?
>>
>> just my two cents
>>
>>         holger
>

> Hi Holger,
> maybe... One should compile with -O0 to check if it's really about
> optimization and retry if it solves anything.
> If yes, then play the game of selecting each individual optimization
> option.

I confirm that the test pass when we compile with gcc thru mvm -d
When such thing happens, most often, this is a sign that we still rely on
some undefined behavior...
I would recommend playing with clang runtime checks to anyone having some
time to invest or finding it fun (ok, it's not everyone).

What I know is that the mingw version of gcc have strange stack management