[Vm-dev] f2c/g77 and problem with FFI 64bits returning float

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Jan 27 02:54:57 UTC 2017

On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 02:39:54AM +0100, Nicolas Cellier wrote:

> > And how to adapt my FFI source code?
> > Last thing, f2c might also be non standard when returning a complex value
> > Big ball of mud...
> >
> > And bingo, ubuntu 14 version of lapack is compiled with gfortran.
> So the slange snippet works perfectly on 64bits there...
> Providing a Smallapack for all these cases is necessarily going to be
> boring.
> I'm quite sure now that it is not a problem of our implementation of FFI,
> sorry for the noise.
> It's a problem of FFI itself: too low level, not enough cross language
> compatibility, developpers choosing weird solutions (easy rather than
> simple). GRRR...

Hi Nicolas,

I am interested to load Smallapack and browse the code, mainly to look
at the external interface and see if the FFI calls could easily be done
with a VM plugin.

Can you suggest what version of Squeak and VM is good to use? I do not
care if the image is old or new, or what VM to use, just as long as I can
load Smallapack.

I am assuming that I should follow these instructions from SqueakSource:

   1) load FFI

   2) load Smallapack/Compiler package to methods with allow more than 15 arguments

   3) load Smallapack/Collections,External,Algorithm,Matrix,Tests

   4) Maybe play again with class initializations

Thanks!