[Vm-dev] Ideas on cheap multi-threading for Squeak / Pharo ? (from Tim's article)

Ben Coman btc at openinworld.com
Tue Jan 31 09:32:29 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 4:51 PM, Clément Bera <bera.clement at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> 3) Ben's idea is to create a process in a new thread that cannot mutate objects in memory. I have issues with this design because each worker thread as you say have to work only with the stack, hence they cannot allocate objects, hence they cannot use closures.

Hi Clement,

Could you expand on this a little. I sense there is something for me
to learn here.
What objects need to be allocated?
One case is where a block references a method's local variable. This
seems okay calling forward to other methods, but may be a problem to
return the block from the method.
Is the problem because the block is an object and to pass arguments
into it mutates the closure?
Or something else?

cheers -ben