[Vm-dev] libtool suck :(

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 16:31:24 UTC 2017

Hi Tobias,

On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 4:47 PM, Tobias Pape <Das.Linux at gmx.de> wrote:

> > On 07.07.2017, at 01:14, Holger Freyther <holger at freyther.de> wrote:
> >

> >> On 7. Jul 2017, at 01:13, Tobias Pape <Das.Linux at gmx.de> wrote:
> >>

> >> Wanted to produce a new 'fat' SqueakSSL binary that's guaranteed to run
> on both
> >> CentOS-like and Debian-like. But no, libtool messes up my linker
> command line.
> >> A bug known since 2006[1]. So, no new SqueakSSL with host name
> verification for you today…
> >
> > Did you try make configure in the unix directory to generate a newer
> configure/
>
> yes, no change.

I'd really like to see the linux builds take the same approach as the Mac
OS X and WIN32/WIN64 builds, just using makefiles and relegating the
configure step to create a config.h defining the platform's facilities.
Then you ow;don't be dependent on libel.  Do you have any energy to take
this approach?  It would take a few days, but it would be great to say
goodbye to the current unix/linux build system.

best, Eliot