[Vm-dev] libtool suck :(

Holger Freyther holger at freyther.de
Fri Jul 7 19:00:41 UTC 2017

> On 7. Jul 2017, at 18:31, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> I'd really like to see the linux builds take the same approach as the Mac OS X and WIN32/WIN64 builds, just using makefiles and relegating the configure step to create a config.h defining the platform's facilities.  Then you ow;don't be dependent on libel.  Do you have any energy to take this approach?  It would take a few days, but it would be great to say goodbye to the current unix/linux build system.

please consider what it takes to get a source package into a Linux distribution. E.g. downloading sources at build time is not allowed for most of them (maybe even actively forbidden), and bundling of libraries is generally discouraged. As far as I remember these were two of the attributes when trying to build the macOS VM during one of my last flights. ;)

holger