[Vm-dev] Debugging the VM under gdb on cygwin

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 20:37:10 UTC 2017

Hi All,

    I'm finding it very difficult to debug the 32-bit VM on 64-bit Windows
using cygwin.  The default gdb for 64-bit cygwin simply doesn't work
properly, finding set facts in programs that work out side of the
debugger.  I've tried to build a 32-bit gdb from the 7.11 sources,
configuring with ./configure --target=i686-w64-mingw32, but the resulting
gdb doesn't find the 32-bit dlls in C:\Windows\SysWOW64', and complains
"Don't know how to run.".

Does anyone else have a working gdb for 32-bit programs on 64-bit Windows?
How did you build it?

Does anyone else have a working gdb for 32-bit programs on 32-bit Windows?
How did you build it?  Do I need to create a 32-bit cygwin installation on
32-bit windows for this to work?

Does anyone have the cygwin gdb 7.8 sources or a pointer to them?  One
poster claimed that 32-bit gdb on cygwin only works if compiled from the
7.8 sources.

Any other ideas?

AdvThanksance
best, Eliot