[Vm-dev] libtool suck :(

Tobias Pape Das.Linux at gmx.de
Sat Jul 8 07:08:34 UTC 2017

> On 07.07.2017, at 18:31, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Tobias,
>
> On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 4:47 PM, Tobias Pape <Das.Linux at gmx.de> wrote:
>

> > On 07.07.2017, at 01:14, Holger Freyther <holger at freyther.de> wrote:
> >

> >> On 7. Jul 2017, at 01:13, Tobias Pape <Das.Linux at gmx.de> wrote:
> >>

> >> Wanted to produce a new 'fat' SqueakSSL binary that's guaranteed to run on both
> >> CentOS-like and Debian-like. But no, libtool messes up my linker command line.
> >> A bug known since 2006[1]. So, no new SqueakSSL with host name verification for you today…
> >
> > Did you try make configure in the unix directory to generate a newer configure/
>
> yes, no change.
>
> I'd really like to see the linux builds take the same approach as the Mac OS X and WIN32/WIN64 builds, just using makefiles and relegating the configure step to create a config.h defining the platform's facilities.  Then you ow;don't be dependent on libel.  Do you have any energy to take this approach?  It would take a few days, but it would be great to say goodbye to the current unix/linux build system.

I understand this position. So, we both don't like the current situation, but we have still different opinions on a good solution. I don't have the energy to dive into a solution wouldn't support fullheartedly. I hope you understand, no intent to upset anyone.
Besides that, building SqueakSSL static and with special link options would only be necessary for Non-Distro-specific Builds, like the ones we have now.
Debian/CentOS-integrated builds (wich we really should commence…) should never statically link if possible…

Best regards
	-Tobias