[Vm-dev] OSProcess fork issue with Debian built VM

Luke Gorrie luke at snabb.co
Mon Jul 10 03:57:47 UTC 2017

Hi Max,

On 18 May 2017 at 13:32, Max Leske <maxleske at gmail.com> wrote:

> We managed to figure out that OSProcess works when we use gcc <= 4.8 on
> Debian. We are happy to use 4.8 for now, so we're good. It would of course
> be super cool if we could use the series 6 gcc as that will soon ship with
> Debian 9 (stretch) but it's probably not trivial to just move to a new
> compiler version (as seems evident from the fact that a minor version
> change can mess up compilation).

Thanks for tracking this problem down and sharing the details. I came upon
exactly the same problem with the Nix package and was able to work-around
that by also downgrading to gcc 4.8. I am sure it would have taken a long
time to work this out without the benefit of your experience.

Relatedly: Is there a suitable automated test that we can use to check that
our VMs are basically okay? I am pushing the switch to gcc 4.8 to resolve
this problem but I don't know whether this is causing other regressions or
what other obvious problems I have missed. I'd love a bit of test coverage
for the builds.