[Vm-dev] OSProcess fork issue with Debian built VM

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 19:44:43 UTC 2017

Hi Luke,

On Sun, Jul 9, 2017 at 8:57 PM, Luke Gorrie <luke at snabb.co> wrote:

> Hi Max,
>
> On 18 May 2017 at 13:32, Max Leske <maxleske at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> We managed to figure out that OSProcess works when we use gcc <= 4.8 on
>> Debian. We are happy to use 4.8 for now, so we're good. It would of course
>> be super cool if we could use the series 6 gcc as that will soon ship with
>> Debian 9 (stretch) but it's probably not trivial to just move to a new
>> compiler version (as seems evident from the fact that a minor version
>> change can mess up compilation).
>>

> Thanks for tracking this problem down and sharing the details. I came upon
> exactly the same problem with the Nix package and was able to work-around
> that by also downgrading to gcc 4.8. I am sure it would have taken a long
> time to work this out without the benefit of your experience.
>
> Relatedly: Is there a suitable automated test that we can use to check
> that our VMs are basically okay? I am pushing the switch to gcc 4.8 to
> resolve this problem but I don't know whether this is causing other
> regressions or what other obvious problems I have missed. I'd love a bit of
> test coverage for the builds.

Tests that stress the VM:
- Running the complete test suite
- running update to Squeak trunk tip from Squeak 5.0
- recompiling the entire system
- building a Moose image

Having these run automatically by a CI server would be very nice.

There are others (Cadence run an aggressive regression suite every night)
but they are not publicly available.

best, Eliot