[Vm-dev] the purpose of CI

Ben Coman btc at openinworld.com
Thu Jun 1 04:05:06 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 2:27 AM, Nicolas Cellier <

> [...]
>> compactor needed testing by a wider audience.
>>
>> Maintenance is some relatively quick fix one (thinks one) can safely
>> apply to either VMMaker.oscog or opensmalltalk/vm trunk to address some
>> issue.
>>
>> Forking is fine for new development if
>> a) people understand and are prepared to pay the cost of merging, or,
>> better,
>> b) they can use switches to include their work as optional in trunk
>> There are lots of switches:
>> A switch between versions in VMMaker.oscog, e.g. Spur memory manager vs
>> V3, or the new Spur compactor vs the old, or the Sista JIT vs the standard,
>> etc
>> A switch between a vm configuration, e.g. pharo.cog.spur vs
>> squeak.cog.spur in a build directory, which can do any of
>> - select a generated source tree (e.g. spursrc vs spur64src)
>> - use #ifdef's to select code in the C source
>> - use plugins.int & plugins.ext to select a set of plugins
>> A switch between dialects (Pharo vs Squeak vs Newspeak)
>> A switch between platforms (Mac OS X vs win32, Linux x64 vs Linux ARM)
>>

>> I get the above distinctions and know how to navigate amongst them
>> upstream, but don't understand very well the downstream (how to clone the
>> build/test CI pipeline so I can cheaply fork, work on the branch and then
>> merge). So I'm happier using switches to try and hide new work in trunk to
>> avoid derailing people.  And so I prefer the notion of a single pipeline
>> that tags specific versions as good.
>>
>> Is one of the requirements that people want to clearly separate
>> maintenance from new development?
>>
>> Is one of the requirements that people want to clearly identify which
>> commit caused a specific bug? (Big discussion here about major, e.g. V3 =>
>> Spur transitions vs small grain changes; you can identify the latter, but
>> not necessarily the former).
>>
>> I suppose what I'm asking is what's the benefit of an all green build?
>> For me a tested, versioned and named artifact is more useful than an all
>> green build.  An all read build is a red flag.  A mostly green build is
>> simply a failure to segregate production from in development artifacts.
>>

> Hi Eliot,
> the main advantage of github is the social thing:
> - lower barrier of contributing via a better integration of tools
>  (not only vcs, but issue tracker, wiki, continuous integration, code
> review/comments and pull request - even if we under use most of these
> tools),
> - and ease integration of many small contributions back.
> For this to work well, such work MUST happen in separate branches.
> in this context, there is an obvious benefit of green build: quickly
> estimate if we can merge a pull request or not.
> when red, we have no information about possible regressions, and have to
> go through the tedious part: go down into the console log of both builds,
> try to understand and compare... There is already enough work involved in

I see that my opening argument was simplistic.  However Nicolas' point
above is probably more significant.
If we want to encourage new contributors, we need:

* to show that the CI builds are cared for

* allow newcomers to be confident that the tip they are working from is
green before they start.  When they submit their PR and the CI tests fail,
they should be able to zero in the failures *they* caused and *as*a*newbie*
not have to sort through the confounding factors from other's failures.

* act timely to integrate, to encourage further contributions.  If someone
contributes a good fix, a green CI test may make you inclined to quickly
review and integrate. But when the CI shows failure, how will you feel
about looking into it? Further, when the mainline returns to green, the
existing PRs don't automatically retest, and no-one seems to be manually
managing them, so such PRs seem to end up in limbo which is *really*
discouraging for potential contributors.

cheers -ben