[Vm-dev] OSProcess fork issue with Debian built VM

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Jun 2 00:59:03 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jun 01, 2017 at 04:50:40PM -0700, Eliot Miranda wrote:
> Hi David,
>
>      what would help here is if all the VMConstruction-Plugins- packages
> lived in a single repository.  So instead of
> http://www.squeaksource.com/{AioPlugin,OSProcessPlugin,XDCP} there was
> http://www.squeaksource.com/OSConnectivity or
> http://www.squeaksource.com/AdditionalPlugins or some such.  Checking lots
> of different repositories for changes is tedious.  If there was one I could
> keep a repository inspector open and refresh.
>
> Alternatively we need Update URLs instead of Update URL.

Hi Eliot,

Try using update maps. There is already an update stream for VMMaker (as opposed
to VMMaker.oscog), so you can name your update maps "update.oscog" to
distinguish them from the existing "update" maps.

Then do something like this:

  VMMaker class>>updateFromServer

      "VMMaker updateFromServer"

      (Smalltalk hasClassNamed: #MCMcmUpdater)
          ifTrue: [ | updater |
              updater := Smalltalk at: #MCMcmUpdater.
              (updater respondsTo: #updateFromRepository:baseName: )
                  ifTrue: [ "newer MCMcmUpdater supports multiple update streams per repository"
                      updater perform: #updateFromRepository:baseName:
                              withArguments: { 'http://source.squeak.org/VMMaker' . 'update.oscog' } ]
                  ifFalse: [ "older versions of MCMcmUpdater"
                          updater updateFromRepositories: #('http://source.squeak.org/VMMaker') ] ]
          ifFalse: [self notify: 'MonticelloConfigurations not installed in this image']

I don't mind moving the plugins I have written, but I would really like to
encourage more people to write and contribute their own VM plugins. For
that I think it is very helpful for someone to be able to start their own
small plugin experiment in squeaksource/whatever, and offer it for other
people to build and use, and maybe later for inclusion in supported VMs if
it turns out to be of general interest. I might be a little biased here
because that is how I got involved in this community myself, and I do think
that it is a good thing to encourage.

Dave