[Vm-dev] Validation builds failing

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 16:05:24 UTC 2017

Hi Ben, Hi Subbu,

> On Jun 12, 2017, at 8:30 AM, Ben Coman <btc at openinworld.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Jun 11, 2017 at 4:24 PM, K K Subbu <kksubbu.ml at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Eliot/Esteban,
>>
>> Thank you for the clarifications.
>>
>> I have no specific preference on - or -- but I took care to ensure that no existing script or code will break and others can continue to follow their convention. More accommodation with less code.
>>
>> The patch is really a trial towards a larger goal. As per sloccount(1) tool, platforms/unix has grown quite big - ~ 37k C and ~ 10k of sh with vm alone accounting for ~6k. It has already exceeded the comfort zone of a single developer. Without careful pruning, the trunk branch will bloat and rot over time. Git makes pruning really simple.
>>
>> The main vm code should really be a thin layer which just reifies host-specific objects (processor, memory, file, os, ...) and enters the interpreter loop as early as possible. Rest of the logic can be handled in Smalltalk. We don't even have to wait to detect peripherals like display or audio to start the main loop, as they can be loaded at any time. Keeping the vm code small also encourages more ports.
>>
>> Regards .. Subbu
>>
>>> On Sunday 11 June 2017 01:31 AM, Nicolas Cellier wrote:
>>> Hi Subbu,
>>> yes the red status is not very instructive...
>>> The status of change seems OK, no regression,
>>> I'd like to have an opinion of Pharo team, because it sounds like
>>> reverting their double dash changes (which you say was unecessary), and
>>> allowing backward double dash compatibility for everyone (which Squeak
>>> does not really need, but it does not hurt).
>>>
>>> To me, reducing the unecessary differences between Squeak/Pharo is a
>>> good thing, but I don't want to decide such things alone, as Ben
>>> suggested, this should be discussed here (or was it?).
>>> Esteban?
>
> If I can hazard to guess, some "#if PharoVM" were simply the easiest/quickest way to deal with all the little divergences the Pharo-non-OpenSmalltalkVM had accumulated, to efficently re-integrate with OpenSmalltalkVM without getting caught up in discussions such as this.  My initial concerns may have been over-enthusiastic at guessing at Pharo's requirements.  While Esteban has been very busy ironing out the Pharo 6 release, maybe we can take from his lack of comment that the remaining issue "--help showing only single-dashes" is not a big deal.
>
> So lets integrate the PR (because there are some other good things in it, and also its good to minimise the "#if PharoVM"s ).  Part of Pharo philosophy to facilitate moving forward is that mistakes are okay.  Its only a mistake if someone complains, and its then easy to add double-dash to help message.  I wouldn't expect the permissive single+double dash in actual options to be any problem.

Whatever gets omitted please make sure that the help text remains correct t and that the Pharo vm accepts double dashes and the Squeak vm accepts si tie dashes.  There are a host of scripts and documents that use either one or the other depending on dialect and the vm must not break them.

Personally I don't object to the Squeak vm access the my both single and double dashes, but others might differ.  What the Pharo vm should do with single dashes is, I think, up to Esteban.