[Vm-dev] iOS partial relaxation on executing downloaded code

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue Jun 13 17:56:05 UTC 2017

> On 13-06-2017, at 10:22 AM, Ben Coman <btc at openInWorld.com> wrote:
>
> This might be good news for some. I'm not sure whether it helps JITing.

I suspect it’s part of Apple preparing for an iOS XCode and similar development tools running on iPads. Now that the high-end iPads are essentially the same performance as decent laptops it would make sense to allow use of those ‘pro’ tools.

It certainly reads like it would cover having a real Squeak/Pharo (indeed, VA Smalltalk, VW, Smalltalk/X etc) running on an iPad. Given the glacial pace of many of these things it could even be ready for a 50th anniversary of Alan Kay’s PhD thesis.

tim
Useful random insult:- One of the early failures of electroshock therapy.