[Vm-dev] VMMaker CI under opensmalltalk-vm (was Re: OSProcess fork issue with Debian built VM)

Ben Coman btc at openinworld.com
Wed Jun 14 01:33:03 UTC 2017

On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 1:57 AM, K K Subbu <kksubbu.ml at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday 13 June 2017 11:09 AM, Ben Coman wrote:
>

>> One extra thing, there feels like as explosion of *src* folders in the
>> root directory.  This could be an opportunity to clean these up into a
>> subdirectory (and a side benefit is I can experiment without touching
>> existing srcs)
>>

> This is due to all variations sharing the same branch ("Cog"). Now that
> all sources are in git, these variations can be moved into their own
> branches:
>    master (Sista?), Spur, Cog, Stack?

I expect there will be strong resistance to that.  It would be hell to
track.  Those folders are generated from the same Smalltalk code base, just
different options.  We want the CI to build all variations in one run to
verify changes don't break any of them.  Technically "Stack" is outside
"Cog", but I guess its more than "this is where we are concentrating on
developing Cog" with any changes to "Stack"-only code being a side-effect.

While I believe it would be good to have more short lived branches (e.g.
not a long-lived "Sista" branch, but a "this-new-feature-for-Sista" branch
that goes away once CI tests pass and PR is integrated)
its hard to change habits and while the existing might not scale, its
working for the number of main collaborators we currently have.

> and use Tags to mark releases like Squeak5, Pharo6 etc. This will reduce
> clutter and make it easy for CI builds and tests.

Since tags don't show up in the graph view...
https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/network
I believe we need we need branches to mark major versions and tags marking
point releases.
but just for human tracking, not having any impact on CI builds.

cheers -ben