[Vm-dev] Appveyor red again

Nicolas Cellier nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 07:16:09 UTC 2017

> On Thursday 15 June 2017 03:48 AM, Nicolas Cellier wrote:
>

>> i686-w64-mingw32-gcc -mwindows -m32 -mthreads
>> -Wl,--large-address-aware,--export-all-symbols -o
>> build/vm/SqueakUnstripped.exe \
>> ...snip...
>> collect2: fatal error: ld terminated with signal 11 [Segmentation
>> fault], core dumped
>>

> Looks like a toolchain bug to me. Collect2 is a utility that creates the
> init glue code before call to main(). ld tools work with the object files
> created by previous passes. Failing with a seg fault is a symptom of
> toolchain defect, possibly triggered by size or number of files being
> processed.
>
> You may want to try a different (older?) version of gcc toolchain.
>
> More info on collect2 at https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs
> /gccint/Collect2.html
>
> Regards .. Subbu

Yes,
what is troubling is that previous build did succeed with no less .o and
.lib files, and that other flavours using the exact same toolchain are
succeeding...
It has to be something specific to v3, but might as well be triggered by a
cygwin upgrade...
That's a problem with cygwin, because we can't version the tools easily.
If we respect coding standards, the tools should not matter that much in
theory, but that's the subtle difference with practice ;)