[Vm-dev] [Pharo-dev] Working OSProcess configuration for Pharo 6 release (please)

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 21:22:51 UTC 2017

Hi Alex,, Hi Cyril,

On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 10:26 AM, Aliaksei Syrel <alex.syrel at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Eliot,
>
> I experience the same slowness as Cyril.
> Latest Pharo's UI is completely unresponsive and it takes seconds to open
> new windows, resizing is a nightmare.

Many apologies.  I broke the criterion for running global GC when I added
the allocation measurement support.  The GC is run when the heap is found
to have grown by some ration (default 1.5) after each scavenge.  When I
added the allocation counting support I noticed that there was a bug in the
determination of the size of the heap (the old code just looked at the
extent of the heap, not the sum of the size of segments) and so I changed
it to use the correct size.  Evidently I've broken something.  I'll fix it
asap, but first have some other issues to attend to.  It should be fixed
before the end of the week.

> I made two videos comparing latest and stable VMs. I used 32bit
> Pharo-60501 on OSX Sierra 10.12.5.
>>  Pharo-VMLatest.mov
> <https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-bMBVDOi3oTXy1wNmlSTlV5THM/view?usp=drive_web>
> ​​
>  Pharo-VMStable.mov
> <https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-bMBVDOi3oTX3AzUkNqcng3dUk/view?usp=drive_web>
>> Cheers,
> Alex
>
> On 20 June 2017 at 19:14, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Cyril,
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 8:08 AM, Cyril Ferlicot <cyril.ferlicot at gmail.com
>> > wrote:

>>> 1011.6 and so things should be working again.
>>> >

>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> The problem is that the stable vm does not have the fix and the
>>> current latest vm is **reeeeeeeeally* slow. It happens at least on
>>> OSX.
>>

>> Can you say more?  I'm noticing slow start up on the latest VMs but once
>> it is running I see no issue.  What specifically is running slowly for you?
>>

>>> I don't know if it is a known problem or if it comes from the
>>> opensmalltalk build or the pharo build.
>>>
>>> I got the VM here: http://files.pharo.org/vm/pharo-spur32/mac/
>>>

>>> --
>>> Cyril Ferlicot